Acer Laptop Error Operating System Not Found
Operating System Not Found is an error message that occurs during system startup. The message is displayed in black windows and prevents access to the desktop. Therefore, the situation is scary and quite complicated. However, like many other Windows errors, this one can be fixed. This problem can occur on any version of Windows. However, the majority of reports came from Windows 10 users.
In many cases, the error is preceded by slow PC, application crashes, hangs, and so on. In addition, before the error occurs, the system can initiate an automatic repair and prompt the user to restart the computer or open the advanced options. If the computer owner chooses to reboot, the system generates a "Operating System Not Found" error message that leads nowhere.
This error is known to result from one of the following causes:
Cause 1: Incorrect BIOS configuration
Because this error occurs when the BIOS is not working properly, checking the BIOS settings is often a good solution. The BIOS setup may become incorrect due to power outages, hardware errors, or manual BIOS setup.
Cause 2: The BCD is damaged
Similar to the errors described in the BCD, the absence of the BCD being corrupt, this error can also appear when the BCD is damaged.
Cause 3: Faulty data cables
If the BIOS fails to detect the hard drive, faulty data cables are often to blame. Try unplugging, then reconnecting or even replacing them completely to see if the problem persists.
Method 1: Test the hard drive Follow the steps below to test the hard drive of a notebook using the Hard Drive Self Test
- Connect the AC adapter to the laptop.
- Press the power button for 5 seconds to turn off the PC.
- Hold down the F10 key while pressing the power button to turn on the computer. Release the F10 key after displaying the text on the PC screen.
- When the BIOS Setup utility is displayed, use the right arrow key to select the Tools menu.
- Select Auto Test Hard Drive.
- Press the Enter key to start the test.
The automatic hard drive test will provide an estimated test time. A quick test, a full test, and a SMART test will be performed when you press the Enter key. If any of the tests fail, Support for instructions on ordering a replacement hard drive. If all the tests succeed, the hard disk is not damaged. In general, It will not replace a warranty hard drive that will not fail the hard drive self-test. If all tests are successful, press the power button to restart the computer. If the operating system error is still not found, go to step 2.
Method 2: Repair the Master Boot Record
The Master Boot Record (MBR) is a section of the hard disk used by the PC to boot the Windows operating system. If the MBR is corrupted, the PC will not start. The Windows Operating System Disc (OSD) that came with your notebook can be used to repair the MBR (Master Boot Record). Follow the steps below carefully to repair the MBR.
- Insert the Windows operating system disc into the optical drive (CD or DVD).
- Press the power button for 5 seconds to turn off the PC. Then press the power button again to turn on the PC.
- Press the Enter key when prompted to boot from the CD.
- In the Windows Setup menu, press the R key to start the Recovery Console.
- At the C: \> prompt, type FIXMBR, and then press the Enter key to continue.
- Press the y key and press Enter when asked if you want to write a new MBR.
- After the MBR writes, restart the notebook by pressing the power button.
Method 3: Fix MBR / DBR / BCD
This method requires bootable Windows installation media, such as a DVD or USB device.
- Start the PC that encounters an operating system error that is not found, and then insert the DVD / USB.
- Then press any key to boot from the external drive.
- When Windows Setup appears, set the keyboard, language, and other required settings, and then tap Next.
- Then select Repair your PC.
- On the Choose an option screen, click Troubleshooting.
- Select Advanced Options and open Command Prompt.
- In the Command Prompt window, type the following commands, pressing Enter after each: bootrec.exe / fixmbr bootrec.exe / fixboot bootrec.exe / rebuildbcd
- Finally, restart your PC.