AVG Antivirus Not Updating
It is more essential to update avg antivirus utilities than most software. Most of user have query that "my avg antivirus is not updating". However, some users have indicated on forums that their AVG antivirus utilities are not updated. This leaves AVG antivirus software obsolete. AVG update general error, if you receive "Update or a general error" error messages during the AVG update, try removing the temporary files used during the update.
Please follow these steps to remove them:
- Start the AVG user interface (double-click the AVG icon on your desktop). Open the Options-> Advanced Settings menu.
- Access the Manage option in the Update branch.
- Tap the Delete Temporary Update Files button.
- Try to update AVG.
Solution 1 :Delete Temporary Update Files
Removing temporary software update files can correct AVG updates if AVG returns an update or a general error message during the update. To do this, open the AVG window.
- Click Options and select Advanced Settings from the menu.
- Click the + to expand Update, and then press the Manage button.
- You can then select a Delete temporary update files option.
- Click Yes to confirm and clear the temporary update files.
Solution 2 : Scan for Malware
Malware can block AVG updates. As such, the removal of malicious programs could correct the utility's updates. You can do it with Anti-Malware. Tap the Free Download button on this page to add the free Anti-Malware software to Windows. Then you can start a scan with this software by pressing its Analyze Now button.
Solution 3 : Turn Off the Windows Firewall
Windows Firewall may be preventing AVG from updating. To make sure this is not the case, you can temporarily disable this firewall. Here's how to disable the firewall in Windows 10.
- Open the Cortana search box by pressing the Enter Here button to search the taskbar.
- Type the keyword "Windows Defender" in the Cortana search box and open the Windows Defender firewall.
- Click Enable or disable the Windows Defender firewall to open the firewall settings shown below.
- Select the options for disabling the Windows Defender firewall and press the OK button. You can re-enable the firewall after AVG updates.
If the problem persists, uninstall AVG, run the removal tool, and then reinstall it.
You can follow the instructions step by step
Step 1: Uninstall AVG
- To uninstall AVG (all versions), go to Control Panel and look for the AVG program.
- In Windows 7: Click Start, Control Panel, Programs and Features.
- In Windows XP: Click Start, Settings, Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs.
- Click on AVG and click on "Uninstall". Then follow the instructions on the screen.
Step 2: Run the avg removal tool
Use AVG Remover to remove any previous version of AVG or its components.
- Save all your work and close all documents. Your computer will need to be rebooted.
- Download the AVG Remover tool.
- Launch it and follow the instructions.
- Restart your computer when prompted.
Step 3: Reinstall AVG
Run the AVG installation using a complete AVG Antivirus Offline Installer installation file:
- Visit the AVG Downloads page.
- Click on "Download" depending on the name of your product. choose the 32-bit or 64-bit version.
- Note: If you download an incorrect file, the installation may fail again. You can go back to this step and download the right file at any time.
- If you are prompted whether you want to run or save the file, click Save or Save As, and then select your desktop as the target folder.
- Run the downloaded file and follow the instructions to install AVG.