When you install the HP software on your computer, HP driver error 1603 "A fatal error occurred during installation" appears on the screen. The ERROR_INSTALL_FAILURE text may also accompany the error message. Error 1603 occurs when Windows Installer attempts to install multiple programs simultaneously, such as system updates, startup services, or other installations.
This type of fatal error 1603 on HP printers occurs while installing the HP software in the Windows system. Users who install the HP software on their computer experience this HP error message called Error 1603. According to HP technical support experts, text will appear on the screen as an "ERROR_INSTALL_FAILURE" message. The HP 1603 error is usually caused by an attempt to install more than one program at a time by the Microsoft installer. This may also include system updates (Windows Update), boot services, or other installations.
Specifically, the HP 1603 driver error occurs when:
- An application already installed on your computer
- The folder where you are trying to install the Windows Installer package is encrypted.
- The drive containing the folder on which you are trying to install the Windows Installer package is accessible as a surrogate.
- The system account does not have full control permissions on the folder where you are trying to install the Windows Installer package. The error is that the Windows Installer service uses the system account to install the software.
To fix a 1603 error, follow the solutions out below:
Solution 1: Uninstall And Reinstall
- Open control panel while logging in admin mode.
- In add or remove programs search for the entries associated with printer.
- Right click on the entry for HP printer and uninstall and restart the system after uninstall is done.
- Search for the driver associated with HP printer download and install them.
Solution 2: Run Hardware Troubleshooter
- Open control panel and select the view for large icons.
- Open troubleshooting and select hardware and sound.
- Click on configure a device and clicks next now follow on screen instructions.
Solution 3: Run Driver In Compatibility Mode
- Update and install the latest driver for the printer.
- Right click on driver setup file and select properties.
- Click on compatibility tab and select run in compatibility mode after that restart the computer and check HP printer install error 1603 has been resolved.
Solution 4: Through The Control system
- Under the Security tab on your home screen click on Add
- In the System what appears under Name click Add and then OK
- Under permissions click Allow > Full Control > Advanced
- Check the box that replaces all previous permissions
- If you are on Windows XP you may just be asked to click OK
- Click Yes when a box appears asking you to do so
- Double-click the installer package that had the error
Your error should now be resolved.