Troubleshooting tools- The Troubleshoot Computer Problems window contains four categories of troubleshooting tools. Run the troubleshooter for the problem on your computer. When the operation is complete, a report is generated in the service center, listing the messages and resolved problems detected. It also lists the issues that have been automatically resolved for you. For more information about Action Center, see What is Action Center? page (in English).
To run a troubleshooter:
In Windows, find and open Troubleshooting.
- The troubleshooting window opens.
- In one of the Computer Troubleshooting categories, click the tool that you want to run, and then follow the instructions on the screen.
- For example, to run a tool to check your Internet connection, select Programs, and then click Internet Connections.
- The troubleshooting tool automatically diagnoses any problems encountered. Some problems are fixed during the execution of the tool. In other cases, the tool asks you to take corrective action. When the tool is finished, you can close it or rerun the troubleshooter to verify that the problem is resolved.
- If the problem persists or if the troubleshooter has not found any problem, try another troubleshooter or see Other troubleshooting options for help.
Typically, defective hardware may cause a black screen on your HP notebook. You must remove the connected equipment from your laptop and see if the problem is there.
- Turn off your laptop.
- Remove the power supply, hard drives, battery, and all attached devices.
- Press and hold the power button for 60 seconds, then release it.
- Put on your battery and plug in the charger. Then do not connect anything else.
- Restart your laptop to see if it works now.
If it solves the black screen problem on your HP laptop, you should have found it and solved the problem. Then you can turn off your laptop and plug in a device once to see if the problem can be reproduced. Then you can locate the cause and solve it.
If your black screen is still there, do not worry. We have other solutions to try. Please note that if you can not connect to your Windows laptop, you must start your laptop in safe mode before trying the following solutions.
If the explorer.exe process has been shut down (probably by a virus), your HP laptop may display a black screen.
- The Explorer.exe process manages the desktop, taskbar, and so on. on your laptop. Therefore, if it is closed on your system, your desktop and taskbar become invisible and your screen goes black.
- Note: The screenshots below are from Windows 10 and the patches also work on Windows 8 and Windows 7.
- On your keyboard, press the Ctrl, Shift, and Esc keys at the same time to call Task Manager.
- Click the Details tab (or the Process tab if you are using Windows 7).
- Scroll down the list and find the explorer.exe process.
- If yes, complete the process by selecting explorer.exe and clicking End Task.
- Restart your HP notebook and see if it fixes black screen issues.
Disabling the quick start can solve the problem of the black screen on your HP laptop. To do this, follow the steps below:
- Open your computer’s Control Panel and display Control Panel items using small icons or large icons.
- Click Power Options.
- Click Choose what the power buttons do.
- Click Change settings currently unavailable.
- Clear the Enable fast start (recommended) check box. Then click Save Changes.
- Restart your computer and see if your laptop screen is working properly.