An SEO specialist analyzes, reviews and applies changes to websites to optimize them for search engines. This means maximizing site traffic by improving the ranking of pages in the search engines. An SEO specialist will analyze websites in search of improvements, possess in-depth knowledge of keyword research, understand SEO writing and liaise between various departments.
A modern specialist must be a problem solver and a decision maker able to prioritize and develop relevant and engaging content. You know the old saying “Content is king?” Modern SEO specialists know that search engines are increasingly focusing on the quality of content – which will invariably include keywords or phrases that increase traffic to a site.
- SEO specialists have a number of responsibilities, depending on the company and the industry in which they work. SEO specialists who work as freelancers or within a marketing company should have a number of important skills:
- Analysis of Website – It is essential for the success of any SEO marketing campaign that the target company’s website complies with the latest standards in search engine optimization. Keywords, backlinks, formatting, and content are just some of the important areas that an SEO specialist considers to be an analysis, redesign, and rebuilding of the website.
- Optimization Keyword optimization: searching for keywords and introducing them organically into a website is essential to a page optimized for SEO.
- Generation of content: keywords are important, but the textual, informative and graphic content constituting the page must also be produced by the SEO specialist.
- Parameters Search Engine Settings – This can be the most important job of an SEO specialist. Keeping an up-to-date understanding of what the major search engines, and in particular Google, use as criteria for the SERP informs about all design choices made by an SEO specialist.
- Skills – A qualified SEO specialist should have a strong knowledge of HTML, CSS, a number of programming languages and a thorough knowledge of various operating systems and hardware platforms.
- Customer Management – The SEO specialist must maintain a working knowledge of the objectives of his employer or client. Any optimized site must first and foremost conform to the business strategy of the site owner.
- Analytical Processing: The ability to analyze problems, find the right resources, and develop solutions is at the heart of the SEO job.
SEO is a strange industry and apparently everyone’s an expert. It seems, as you have arrived at this page, you are looking for an SEO specialist so how do you decide who is and isn’t one? In a nutshell, established SEO specialists are all about quality not quantity. So to weed the bad guys out ask them the simple question, ‘how many links a month will you build to my site?’. If they give you a number, don’t hire them.
Here at Western Techies we understand that it’s about quality not quantity as any genuine SEO specialist should! Before we start, spare a thought for the poor search engines Google, Bing and the others. They have to find and index squillions of pages, figure out the best ones and show them to the people who are searching, now that’s not easy! Their task is made even harder because of the number of people, often pretending to be SEO specialists, who spend all their time trying to fool the engines into believing a web page is an authority by building hundreds of trashy links to it. Thankfully that’s where smart SEO’s win.
In appearance a simple question, an SEO specialist could be described as a person who helps users find what they are looking for when they use search engines such as Google and Bing. However, it is only the tip of the iceberg of search engine optimization.
A modern specialist must be able to:
- Problem solve
- Write intriguing content
- Make a decision
- Not fear research