The 221 error messages can appear during program installation, while a Trend Micro Incorporated-related software program is running, during Windows startup or shutdown, or even during the installation of the Windows operating system.
Keeping track of when and where your 221 errors occur is an important part of the problem solving process.
- “Error 221” appears and the active program window crashes.
- Your PC frequently crashes with Error 221 when running the same program.
- “Trend Micro Error Code 221” is displayed.
- Windows runs sluggishly and responds slowly to mouse or keyboard input.
- Your computer is “freeze” for a few seconds over time.
- Corrupt download or incomplete installation of Trend Micro Maximum Security software.
- Corruption in Windows registry from a recent Trend Micro Maximum Security-related software change (install or uninstall).
- Virus or malware infection that has corrupted Windows system files or Trend Micro Maximum Security-related program files.
- Another program maliciously or mistakenly deleted Trend Micro Maximum Security-related files.
Runtime Errors such as “Error 221” can be caused by a variety of factors, so it is important that you troubleshoot each of the possible causes to prevent it from recurring.
To manually repair your Windows registry, you must create a backup by exporting a part of the registry 221 related to the first error:
- Click the Start button.Type “command” in the search box … hit enter still!
- While holding CTRL-Shift on your keyboard, hit ENTER.
- You will be prompted with a permission dialog box.Click Yes.
- A black box will open with the blinking cursor.
- Type “regedit” and hit ENTER.
- In the Registry Editor, select the Error 221-related key (eg. Trend Micro Maximum Security) you want to back up.
- From the File menu, choose Export.
- In that Save In list, select the folder where you want to save the Trend Micro Maximum Security backup key.
- In the File Name box, type a name for your backup file, such as “Trend Micro Maximum Security Backup”.
- Then in the Export Range box, be sure that “Selected branch” is selected.
- Click Save.
- The file is then saved with a .reg file extension.
- You now have a backup of your Trend Micro Maximum Security-related registry entry.
Operating System Information
The 221 error can occur in any of the following Microsoft Windows operating systems:
- Windows 10
- Windows 8
- Windows 7
- Windows Vista
- Windows XP
- Windows ME
- Windows 2000
Are You Still Experiencing Error 221 Issues?
Please reach out to us anytime.