You have the option of importing your W-2 SSE into TurboTax. This feature is fast, easy and puts your information in the right place on your tax return.
Before You Begin
- Two versions of TurboTax – are available online and in CD. You have to choose a product that supports the W-2 import feature – TurboTax Deluxe, Premier, or Home and Business. Visit TurboTax website at www.turbotax.com. Help to get the best selection or get started with the online version of your choice.
- When you launch the TurboTax, you will need some basic information in the form – to be rooted in your W2 – to enable this import feature.
- Start the turbotax and follow the turbotax screen as they guide you to enter your personal information. You can come to federal tax, where W-2 is the first income issue
- See the screen, “Let’s work on your W2.” Now select work on my W-2.
- You will be asked to enter an Employer Identification Number (EIN) in your W-2 (Box B). You will find this number on your W-2 paper version.
- Let this confirmation screen let you know that turbotax can import your W-2. Select Continue to import. You have the option to enter all your W-2 manually, just check the box on this screen.
- You will need to provide some additional information from your W-2 paper version. This is an extra security solution to make sure you’re the only one to import your information.
- You W-2 information are now on your tax return! Highly recommend that you compare your paper version. If necessary you can edit your information but note that you are responsible for your W-2 information provided on your return.
Requirements to successfully import your W-2 directly from your employer:
- Your payroll provider needs to be a TurboTax Import Partner (Determine this by your employer’s EIN).
- Your W-2 must be available for import – most are ready by February 1, and some are disabled after the April filing deadline.
- You can also use the YTD (Year to Date) gross income from your year-end paystub.
- In some cases, Need a box control number in your WP2, but only if your pay provider is required to import it (not all of them).
- If TurboTax does not recognize your employer’s EIN for any reason, and you are using a TurboTax Online or TurboTax mobile app, then you have the option to snap your W2 photo using your smart phone.
The most common reason is that your employer’s payroll provider isn’t a TurboTax Import Partner.
Other possible reasons include:
- You don’t have your employer’s EIN (Employer Identification Number);
- Your W-2 isn’t yet ready for import (it should be available no later than February 1);
- Employer has shut down W-2 import because it’s after April 17, 2018;
- Your employer requires that you enter the Control Number (box d) from your W-2, which you don’t have;
- You do not have the box 1 amount on your W-2 (you can change YTD or year-by-date gross income in the last stage of your 2017 year).
- For your added convenience, Now offer the option of auto filling your W-2 data by taking a picture of your W-2 paper form with your smart phone.