VPN Error 691
VPN Error 691 is directly linked with the remote computer. It simply states, “A connection to the remote computer could not be established”. The ‘VPN Error 691 occurs when you are trying to connect to a Virtual Private Network (VPN). This is caused when the Windows Firewall or the third-party antivirus application installed on your system is blocking the VPN connectivity.
As we have mentioned, the error can be caused by various reasons depending upon various scenarios. The error occurs when the VPN connection process is met with some blockades on its way. This is often found to be caused by the following main reasons:
- Windows Firewall or Third-party Antivirus:The first primary cause of the error has to be the Windows Firewall or your third-party antivirus, as mentioned prior. This happens when the connectivity is blocked by the Windows Firewall or when your third-party antivirus implements some restrictions.
- Third-Party VPN Application:If you have a third-party VPN application installed on your system while trying to connect to a VPN using the Windows default way, then that might cause the error sometimes. In such a scenario, you will have to uninstall the VPN application.
When you see the VPN 691 error, there are some remedies you can try as follows:
- If two or more VPN clients are installed on the computer, make sure only one client is running to avoid conflicts. Test both to run Windows applications and services. Restart the computer if necessary to ensure all other applications have been stopped.
- Firewalls and antivirus programs block access to VPN gateways that may be active. Temporarily disable them to fix the problem.
- Try other standard troubleshooting steps. Restart the client computer. Delete and reset the client's VPN configuration settings. Find another computer that has an active setting to compare your network configuration, then find out any differences between the two. That may be the cause of the incident.
- The intermittent network connection problem can sometimes cause the 691error to appear but then it does not appear again when the user restarts the computer.