Windows 10 media creation tool error
Software distribution is currently mostly digital and even Microsoft has changed its approach with Windows 10. However, Windows 10 Media Creation Tool, the best tool of this type, is not as perfect as it could be. imagine. Users sometimes receive the message "There was a problem running this tool" in Windows 10.
The error is mainly followed by the alphanumeric error code that varies. This error appears in different segments, there is no single solution to solve it. The solution depends on various factors, such as the version of Windows, the architecture, the size of the USB key, etc.
To this end, we have prepared a list of possible solutions that should help you solve the problem with this clever tool. If you are stuck when upgrading, updating, or creating bootable media through the Media Creation Tool, check the solutions listed below.
Method 1. Run Media Creation Tool as administrator
If you encounter this error while running the media authoring tool, the most primitive error solution "The error related to running this tool" is to run the tool as administrator.
- Once you have connected the bootable USB drive with the Media Creation Tool, right-click on its icon.
- In the context menu, select Run as administrator.
Method 2. Enable required services
You may encounter error code 0x80070015 "There was a problem running this tool" if more than one required service is disabled. Therefore, before you create or run the media authoring tool, check the status of the following processes:
- Press the Windows + R keys, type services.msc and press Enter.
- On the list of services, look for them below and check their status. The startup type of all must be set to Automatic.
- Update Windows
- Intelligent transfer service in the background
- TCP / IP NetBIOS Helper
- IKE and AuthIP IPsec Keying Modules
- If any of them is set to Manual, right-click on it and select Start.
- Then set Startup Type to Automatic and close the Services window.
Method 3. Check language settings
Problems with the Windows Media authoring tool, such as "There was a problem running this tool," may occur if your system's localization and the language of the Windows 10 installation file downloaded do not match. The easiest way is to set the language of your desktop or laptop in English:
- Open the Control Panel and select Clock, Language and Region.
- In the Region section, click Change Date, Time, or Number Format.
- Open the Administration tab and select Change system locale.
- Set the regional settings to English and press OK.
- Return to the Administration tab and navigate to Copy Settings.
- Select the Home Screen and System Accounts and New User Accounts checkboxes (if unchecked).
- Click Apply, then OK to save the changes.
- After that, reboot the system.
Method 4. Run Registry Editor
If none of the previous methods have helped you, you may need to modify the registers. Be very careful because deleting or incorrectly modifying an incorrect key can cause serious damage to the operating system. To avoid any problem, we strongly recommend that you create a backup for the Windows registry and we will explain how to proceed below:
- Press the Windows + R keys, type regedit and press Enter.
- Click on File at the top of the window and select Export.
- Select the location in the left pane.
- Type the name of the backup in the File Name field and click Export.
- When the backup is ready, access the DDHKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \\ SOFTWARE \\ Microsoft \\ Windows \\ Current Version \\ WindowsUpdate \\ OSUpgrade key using the left pane.
- Click with the right mouse button on the blank space and select New -> DWORD.
- Name it AllowOSUpgrade and set its value to 1.
- Close the Registry Editor and restart the PC.
Method 5. Disable your antivirus
If software runs into conflict with the antivirus tool, various problems, including “There was a problem running this tool” error, can occur and distort the performance of OS. Therefore, if none of the methods above helped you to resolve the Media Creation Tool bug, we would recommend disabling your antivirus temporarily. To do so, click Ctrl + Alt + Delete to open Task Manager. Find the process of your antivirus, click on it, and select End Task. The find its icon on the taskbar, right-click it, and select Disable.