The Windows error code 0x80070017 is one of the simplest errors commonly encountered by PC and laptop users under any Windows operating system. These are often DIY users who choose to do things on their own rather than hiring a professional. This does not mean that you have to hire the service technician or a professional for everything, whether it is with your PC or laptop. Solving some problems or performing tasks on your PC or laptop can be very informative.
Although you may encounter this error with any Windows operating system, including Windows 7, 8, 8.1, and 10, Windows 7 users will face it the most. The error code may appear simply as 0x80070017 or 80070017 with a message saying "Windows can not search for new updates. An error occurred while looking for new updates for your computer "," Some updates were not installed. Failed: 57 updates »or« Error (s) found: Code: 0x80070017 update Windows has encountered an unknown error.
METHOD 1: RUN WINDOWS UPDATE TROUBLESHOOTER
If you encounter the error with Windows Update, you can use the Windows Update Troubleshooter.
- Tap the Windows Start Bar in the lower left corner, search for "troubleshoot", and go to the troubleshooter.
- Select Windows Update, and then click Run Troubleshooter.
- If the troubleshooter finds an underlying problem, you will be prompted to restart.
- After rebooting, return to the Windows Update menu and try to reapply the update.
METHOD 2: SCAN AND RESTORE CORRUPTED SYSTEM FILES
- Open the command prompt as an administrator.
- Type sfc / scannow and press Enter.
- Wait for the system file checker to be enabled and restore the corrupted system files.
- After the operation is complete, restart your computer to see if the error has been corrected.
METHOD 3: UPDATE MANUALLY VIA WINDOWS UPDATE CATALOG
- Initially, go to the Windows Update section and identify the update that fails to install and copy the knowledge base number. You will need to query the Microsoft Update catalog later.
- Then, visit the Windows Update Catalog Web site and paste the Knowledge Base number into the search bar.
- Now, click the Download button associated with the architecture of your system. Do not download the x64 version if you have a 32-bit architecture because it will not install properly.
- When the .msu file has been downloaded to your system, open it and follow the on-screen instructions to install it.
METHOD 4: PERFORM A CLEAN BOOT
- Press Windows Key + R and enter msconfig. Now press Enter or click OK.
- The system configuration window will appear. Go to the Services tab, select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and click the Disable All button.
- Now, go to the Startup tab and click Open Task Manager.
- When Task Manager opens, disable all startup applications. To do this, right-click the desired application and choose Disable from the menu.
- When all startup applications have been disabled, return to the System Setup window and click Apply, then OK. Restart your PC.
- After restarting your computer, try downloading the update again.