To download and install Windows updates, your installation of Windows must meet certain criteria so that Microsoft knows that you download the updates to a certified copy of the operating system. Strangely, this involves having the correct date and time set on your PC. Without the correct date and time, you may get a 0x80072efe error. Many users experience an error code 0x80072efe when trying to update their Windows system using Windows Update, which is a pretty serious problem. Without the system update, it can be vulnerable to spyware, viruses and malware. The Windows Update 0x80072efe error code usually means that the system can not contact the Microsoft Windows server.
- Impossibility for the end user to complete or install a Windows update.
- The computer may hang while trying to load or run an application.
- The end user may not be able to install recently downloaded applications.
- Some applications may fail or hang during operation.
Method 1: Change the date and time on your system
To change the date and time on your system, follow these steps:
- Log in to your system with administrator privileges.
- In the lower right corner you will see the current date and time.
- If the date and / or time are incorrect, click the date and time section.
- Here you will have an option saying “Change date and time settings …”.
- Click this option.
- Now click on “Change date and time …”
- Now just enter the correct date and time and click OK.
Method 2: Disable the Windows Firewall temporarily
To disable the firewall on your system, you must follow these steps:
- Go to the beginning.
- Click the Control Panel icon.
- Click the System and Security tab.
- Here you will find a Windows firewall Click on this tab.
- Here you will observe two sections. One section will be from the public network and the other will be from the private or domestic network. We are only interested in the private network.
- In this private section, you must check Disable Windows Firewall.
- Now restart your computer and try to reconnect to Windows Update.
- If this method is right for you, do not forget to enable Windows Firewall.
Method 3: Clear the Windows Store Cache
There may be caches in your Windows store that prevent the Windows Update Tool from getting new content. Follow these steps to clear the Windows Store cache:
- Press the Windows and R keys simultaneously to open the Run dialog box.
- Type wsreset.exe and click OK.