You can watch videos on the Wii if you have access to the internet. Connecting a Wii to the Internet is a simple process. Once configured, you can stream videos in two simple ways. The first is to download the Opera browser for the Wii. The second is to associate an existing Netflix account with the Wii. You can use both methods if you wish, and none of them cost more than the usual Netflix pricing plan.
Launch the YouTube channel. If you are signed in, you will see your subscriptions and playlists. otherwise, you will see standard YouTube categories. The visual style is not Wii-sque at all, which is probably a good thing in this case. It is modern, clean and content-oriented. Click a video to watch it, or use the + and - buttons on your Wii Mote to browse longer lists. You will need a computer or a phone to connect, but only once. Explore your channels by using the + and - buttons again to navigate through the lists. What's really good is that YouTube for Wii continues to play after the end of a video. It's great if you catch videos for a particular channel. The reading is pretty good, since most videos on YouTube are in HD at this point, while the Wii is not HD compatible. Integrated search means you can quickly find a YouTube video.
You can discover and watch YouTube videos without a YouTube account, but to view your playlists, favorites, and uploaded videos, you must sign in to your YouTube account. To sign in with your YouTube account, follow these steps:
- In the Wii menu, select YouTube and select "Start."
- Select "Connection and Settings".
- Select "Connection".
- An 8-digit code will be displayed on your screen.
- Using a computer, visit youtube.com/activate and sign in to your YouTube account.
- Enter the code displayed by the Wii, then follow the instructions on your computer screen to complete the login process.
- Once connected, the Wii will automatically return the "Connection & Settings" menu.
Step-by-step instructions on configuring YouTube on the Wii U.
- If you have not already done so, set up an Internet connection on the Wii U.
- Make sure your Wii U has the latest system update.
- Select the YouTube icon in the Wii U menu.
- Once started, an update may be necessary. Follow the instructions on the screen to perform this update.
- If you have already deleted the YouTube icon, you can download YouTube from Nintendo eShop. How
- Once YouTube has started, you can start watching videos.
- If you want to access features like comments and your playlists, click here to learn how to sign in with your YouTube account.